Why? There is very little real difference between Norm Coleman, big government RINO Republican and Al Franken big government Democrat. After all the counting, legal maneuvering and monkey business one of these two are going to win by a relative handful of votes. Both Coleman and Franken received 42% of the vote cast. No matter who finally comes out on top, 58% of the voters wanted someone else. The losing side will claim the election was stolen and we will hear about it for years.
We should have saved the money and not had a recount. We should have tried one of many viable and cheaper alternatives. How about....
- A coin flip. Simple, easy and cheap.
- Use the lottery method. Each candidate picks a number from 1 to 56. The air popper machine pops out numbers until one of the candidate's number comes out. They win! It could be televised with revenue from the commercials used to offset the costs.
- Bingo! Give each of the candidates an electronic bingo card. As the balls are drawn, each candidate marks off the spot on the electronic card which is projected on a screen. This too could be televised.
- A duel! A tried and true American method (Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton). Besides being televised, it could be staged at the Metrodome before a live audience. Think of the excitement that builds as the day of the duel draws near.
- Survivor! Yes we could drop both candidates in the remote reaches of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area with only a compass and a survival guide. The first one to find his way back to civilization wins! If neither does, well we all win.
- Manhunter. As Minnesota's former Governor Jesse Ventura says "You haven't hunted until you've hunted man." Again drop both candidates in the remote reaches of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) with only a compass and a survival guide. However, this time they must stay in the BWCA. A few hours after Coleman and Franken are dropped in the BWCA, Jesse Ventura will be dropped in with a rifle and a camera mounted on his head. Think of the ratings as we watch Jesse stalk really big game.