I also wanted to mention that you must chose to either run for a delegate position or an alternate position. You cannot run for both. Please fill out the following form accordingly:
National Delegate Self-Nomination Form
You may place yourself in nomination to be a Delegate or Alternate to the National Republican Convention. Please be aware of the following expectations of your service in this capacity.
1. You will be expected to attend. It is not sufficient to allow the alternate to take your place.
2. There are substantial costs.
a. The registration fee alone is generally $300 or more, and "guests," if you bring your spouse, cost the same.
b. For security purposes, you will be required to stay in the convention hotel, at a cost of $2-300 per night (5 nights).
c. You will be expected to contribute significantly to the national party and campaign, $1000 is almost the minimum.
3. You are expected to contribute to the "TV image" of the Party by being present, applauding and cheering at the "right" places, etc.
********You should also be aware that, unlike your service as a State or local delegate, your influence on the process is considerably limited. The other primary states will, by convention time, have determined the Presidential nominee. The platform process is divided and the opportunity to participate in even a piece of it is limited. After the convention, the platform is generally ignored. For this reason, the role of National Delegate is generally seen as a "reward" for long and faithful service to the Party, rather than as a "representative" to a deliberative body or a "learning opportunity" for newcomers. *******
If you accept and believe you can meet these qualifications, please answer all of the following questions, Yes or No:
1. Do you pledge to attend the National Convention, health permitting?
2. Do you have the financial means to do so?
3. Do you pledge to support the Republican Presidential nominee after the convention?
4. Do you pledge to work for the Presidential candidate AND for other Republican candidates during this campaign season?
Please sign, date, and print your name below. At some point in the Agenda, you will be expected to deliver a short (roughly 1 minute) speech regarding your candidacy, upon which the delegates will base their votes.
Read the full article here.
I'm so old I remember when political conventions actually mattered. Now both the GOP and the Democratic conventions are nothing but taxpayer subsidized commercials.